Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Depression

I have had to take a slight detour and research Depression.
I have often wondered if depression is hereditary. I believe it is.
I know my mother battled depression and so have I. And still do, I've been battling it again, off and on since the beginning of winter. Many things trigger it. Christmas, the month of May and October to name a few. They all have some memories that are 'depressing'. I am aware when it is happening.
I see signs in my daughter. I want to help her. I do not believe in putting someone on drugs. I believe there are holistic remedies. This is what I'm researching.
About two yeaers ago, we went to a wonderful natural practitioner. The testing he did, I believe was called 'reflexology'. From this he told me my heart was in shock, ever since my husband died. He put me on supplements. I felt absolutely wonderful. I was so impressed with this man, I told everyone about him. He has helped many people.
My daughter also went to him. She was told she was depressed. After being put on 'supplements', she also felt wonderful.
Now the dr. has retired, and there is no one to take his place. Not in the area we live in.
So this is why I must research.
I will write my story on depression at another time. Right now my concern is my daughter.
This will become another cause in my mall. I can't believe I hadn't thought of it before. Not until it hits home...
I am hoping and praying to still be able to connect with people after the Boot Camp is done. You all have been an inspiration and encouragement to me. Thank you for taking the time and paving the way for us on the outside looking in.
Love you all.

2 comments:

Big Z and his Mom said...

Joanne,

I'm so glad that you had the insight to seek a Naturopathic Practitioner, and that he turned you onto supplements that have helped both you and your daughter. Fret not about his retirement. You'll will find another person to help you and your daughter.

Depression is hereditary; and I believe there are many ways one can be proactive to limit its effect on our lives.

Your research is one way. Finding a support system is another. Keeping hope alive in your heart is another. Taking time for yourself and doing activities that support your soul are others.

Joanne, you will be connected even after Boot Camp. You're not only Ed's Mom, but you've been one of the top supporters of the Campers all along. You are a member of the My Power Mall Family.

Though waves of depression may come and go as steadily as the ocean laps the shoreline, know that your inner strength and your connection to God/Spirit is the shortest route to freedom. Nourish this connection in any way you can, for it lessens the hold of depression upon you.

Many in my family have suffered from chronic to mild depression, including myself. Whether mine from CFS or a hereditary link, my best remedies are taking care of me, my soul, my family, nutrition, exercise, mother nature, and keeping my network of friends close by and calling them when I need them. All of these include my doing my best to live my life purpose to the best of my ability everyday. And, I try to be HOPE-filled and AWE-inspired and EN-Joy ~~Though, admittedly, I sometimes fall short of my goal. When I do, I practice the art of being Gentle on Myself.

Remember, though, that there are certain kinds of depression that require medication. It may be wise to have a check up with a physician or a ArNP that can help you decipher your particular type, and give you pointers on what modalities you may seek for relief.

Bless you, Joanne.

bestblinddate said...

Oh Joanne, How I feel for you. I have battled depression for years now and I finaly found some relief in meditation. Like Tess said, I do not know what type of depression anyone has... heck I couldn't even tell you what kind I had... but I can tell you that God is a big God and he lives within. I have some CD's that I use that took me straight to that seperate place very quickly using bi nural beats. I would be happy to tell you all about them. I will send you an email with my number. I would so love to talk to you! Stay strong! Luvins... Aletha